Virginia Tech®home


Communication with Government Officials

The President is responsible for developing all university positions on state and federal legislation and policies and for coordinating university relations with the General Assembly, the governor of Virginia, members of U.S. Congress, cabinet secretaries, executive branch officials, state and federal agencies, legislative staff, and all communication with government officials concerning official university positions on policy issues.

Guidance Regarding Political Activity by Employees of the University

The university's policy on communication with government officials in no way restricts the right of any employee (i.e. faculty, classified and University staff, professional research staff, etc.) from communicating their personal opinions with government officials.  However, when communicating such personal opinions employees must not represent their personal opinions as positions or policies of the university, unless the President has specifically authorized them to do so. 

University employees should use neither university letterhead nor electronic mail sent through university mail servers to communicate their personal opinions or positions. Legislative or Congressional Testimony or other communication on behalf of professional societies or other academic organizations should be coordinated with the Office of Government and Community Relations.  In this case "coordinated" simply means notification in advance.

Visits to Campus by Officials

Visits to campus by state and federal elected and appointed officials and their staff members are an important part of government relations efforts and are encouraged.  All invitations to elected and appointed officials and/or their staff should be coordinated with the Office of Government and Community Relations. Invitations to certain officials (e.g. governor, U.S. Senators, cabinet secretaries) in most cases should be extended by the President of the university. 


In order to manage and coordinate communications regarding government policies, funding issues, or visits to campus by government officials contact the Office of Government and Community Relations by phone at (540) 231-7111.